With all of the hustle and bustle activity surrounding the holidays, too often safety gets ignored as a priority, leaving opportunity for accidents or injuries (including burns) to occur. At John’s Electric we want you to get the most out of your holiday season and we want your family to feel safe and secure. Here are some tips to avoid injury from burns this winter:
Inspect electrical wiring - When holiday lights, decorations and ornaments have been in storage for a year, anything could have happened to cause them to deteriorate or become damaged. Closely inspect all of the electrical wiring to your lights and electrical decorations to be sure there are no cuts, nicks or chew marks from rodents and if there are - throw them away.
Read the labels - Indoor and outdoor light strands are labeled as such for a reason. Indoor lights typically are less protected from the elements than outdoor lights, which usually have a thicker outer cover. Always use the lights in their designated areas to avoid fires or burns.
Avoid Abusing Outlets - overloading a circuit on one outlet with too many items plugged into it can spark an electrical fire very quickly. Plan your decorations and lighting in such a way that they are spread out evenly in the room as to avoid overloading.
Keep Electrical Cords Safe - Avoid putting extension cords or power strips in areas that are dangerous, such as underneath or behind heavy furniture or in hard to reach places. Also, be sure to keep them out of areas where a lot of people walk through your home to avoid tripping and falling over cords.
First and foremost, stay safe this holiday season and immediately seek medical attention for anyone that experiences electrical burns or shock. Contact the professionals at John’s Electric today for these and other helpful holiday tips.