Licensed & Insured Residential and Commercial Electrician • Licensed & Insured Residential Plumber • Serving the Birmingham, AL area • 24/7 Emergency Service Available

(205) 426-0583

Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Are you and your family protected from fires, smoke or carbon monoxide?

Do you have the smoke detectors installed? Are they installed in the right places and do you have enough? All three questions are as equally important.

When it comes to protection, we can’t emphasize enough how important it is to have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and installed the correct places. We have seen to many homes in Birmingham not have smoke and carbon detectors.

With that said I would like to tell you a bit about smoke and carbon monoxide.

Did you know that most people that die in a house fire, dies from the smoke not because they were consumed by the fire? What’s even worse is this happens in their sleep, and if they do wake up, there is not enough time to escape the smoke that has consumed them. They have already breathed too much smoke, and the smoke can be so intense and thick you can’t see where you are going. If you are ever in a fire the best thing, you can do go to ground and crawl out as fast as you can to safety.

Carbon Monoxide is the known as the silent killer. Carbon Monoxide is dangerous because it’s colorless, odorless and a tasteless gas. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can cause severe illness, permanent health problems and even death?

Carbon monoxide is found in many household appliances, including gas stoves, dryers, water heaters, and furnaces and gas or wood fireplaces. If items like these are in poorly ventilated areas, carbon monoxide can build up and be deadly.

Now that we know of the risks I’m going to tell you how you avoid these problems and keep your loved ones, yourself and your home safe.

Installing smoke detectors, alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home is the best prevention.

Detectors will alert you and your family in the early stages of fire, smoke or a carbon monoxide threat if they are installed correctly and properly maintained.

Smoke and carbon detectors should be interconnected with each other and to your electrical system. Interconnected means: that all smoke detectors will communicate with each other in the event of an emergency. If there is a problem in the 2nd bedroom, you will know it in the master bedroom and vice versa.

Smoke detectors should also have battery backup. In the event that you lose power the detectors will still work for a short period of time.

Smoke detectors should be checked every few weeks to make sure they are performing and functioning correctly. Batteries should be changed out frequently too.

Death and injury can be avoided by taking just a few steps. If you do not have smoke detectors or carbon Monoxide detectors, please give the safety experts at John's Electric a call today. If you have any questions or concerns about your existing smoke detectors or need monthly maintenance, please give us a call.

Warning signs of Carbon Monoxide:

  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Light Headedness
  • Sleepiness
  • Fatigue or Weakness
  • Irregular Breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Confusion
  • Chest Pain
  • Food Poisoning

Again, your safety is our number-one concern. Please call John's Electric today, and we will make sure that your home has the correct number, placement and type of smoke detectors to safeguard your family.

Current Specials

$25 Off Any Electrical Repair

Must mention promo code: 25OFF
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Does not include dispatch fee.
Offer does not expire

Free Second Opinion

on service/breaker upgrades or fuse box repairs.
Must use coupon code JELFREESECONDOPINION.
Offer does not expire

Latest Tips

Glowing Hot Bad Lug - Electrical Panel

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Awesome video of a bad lug on a 200 amp electrical panel. The lights in the home were going on and off and here might be the problems. Look at it glow!

Finish reading Glowing Hot Bad Lug - Electrical Panel...

Amazing new technology powers wearable devices with our own sweat.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A team of engineers from the University of California, San Diego has developed remarkable stretchable power cells that take energy from your own sweat and power electronics, like LEDs and even Bluetooth radios!
For a field that has been struggling to come up with devices that are powerful enough and stretchable enough, these epidermal biofuel cells are a major breakthrough. The breakthrough was achieved thanks to a combination of extremely clever chemistry, highly advanced materials and electronic interfaces. This combination let them build a highly stretchable, electronic foundation using lithography and screen-printing to manufacture 3D carbon nanotube-based cathode and anode arrays.
The biofuel cells are equipped with an enzyme that oxidizes the lactic acid present in human sweat to generate current. This turns the sweat into a source of power. Because the concentration of lactic acid in a person's sweat gets diluted over time, the team is exploring a way to store the energy produced while the concentration of lactate is high enough and then release it gradually.So future work is needed before this technology can be considered a full success. 

Finish reading Amazing new technology powers wearable devices with our own sweat. ...

About John's Electric

Linn Park Fountain, Birmingham, AL

John's Electric Inc. is a family owned and operated electrical contractor business that proudly provides electrician services in Birmingham, AL and the surrounding areas such as Hoover, Homewood, Chelsea, Vestavia Hills, Pelham, Alabaster, Trussville, and Mountain Brook. John's Electric provides residential and commercial electrical solutions at competitive rates. We have been in this line of work for 30 years, giving us not only experience but expertise as well. You can depend on us. We are a state licensed electrician (#03875) for your protection.

  • Angie's List
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • HomeAdvisor
  • Yellow Pages
  • Yelp

What others say about John's Electric Service

I called because of the great reviews, and was not disappointed. I told Aubrey what was going on and he knew right where the problem was. He communicated well when he would be here and scheduled time with the power company to shut off the main power to replace the main breaker.

I appreciated that Aubrey took the time to make sure that everything was working before he left.

Scott Klawitter
Google

Very professional and willing to work with the customer. Overall was an enjoyable experience.

Ernie Spiller
Yellow Pages

John's Electric responded promptly to my service needs and made repairs at a reasonable price. I highly recommend them for any electrical work.

Ryan Armstrong
Google

The service and professionalism was exceptional. They responded in a timely manner and had our problem resolved quickly. I highly recommend John's Electric !

Glen Slavich
Google