Electrician & Plumber • Licensed & Insured • Residential & Commercial • Credit Cards Accepted • Serving the Birmingham, AL area • 24/7 Emergency Service Available

(205) 426-0583

The Safe Way to Handle Broken CFL Bulbs.

Broken CFL bulb, safe handling CFL bulbsBroken CFL bulbs often cause immediate panic from exposure to the mercury contained in them and the possible adverse health effects. So how dangerous really is a broken CFL bulb?

According to Clean Air Expert John Roberts “Any level of mercury exposure carries potential health concerns, but due to the small amount of mercury and short duration of exposure, a broken CFL is not likely to present any significant risk to you or your family.”

"You're talking under 5 milligrams of mercury," he said. "That figure won’t mean much to people, so to put it in perspective: if you think about the mercury thermometers that I grew up with, it's less than 1 percent of the amount of mercury that was in one of those thermometers."

Although the average 4 milligrams of mercury per bulb is already a fairly small amount, some CFL manufacturers are reducing mercury content even further. The average mercury content in CFLs dropped at least 20 percent in recent years, and some manufacturers have reduced mercury to as little as 1.4 to 2.5 milligrams per light bulb.

Earth911.com offers the following tips for cleaning up a broken CFL Bulb:

  1. Before Cleanup
    Have people and pets leave the room. Air out the room for five to ten minutes by opening a window or a door.
    Turn off the forced heating and air system in the room if you have one.
    Use stiff paper or cardboard, sticky tape, damp paper towels or wet wipes (for hard surfaces) or a resealable plastic bag.
  2. During Cleanup
    Do Not Vacuum - Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken, as doing so may spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
    Thoroughly scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
    Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
    Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.
  3. After Cleanup
    Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including any vacuum cleaner bags used, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
    If weather and other conditions allow, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating and air conditioning system shut off for several hours (a study conducted by the journal Science of the Total Environment found that the critical exposure period passes after four hours).

Our top concern is the safety of our customers and their loved ones. For more electrical safety tips contact the experts at John's Electric.

 

Return to blog

Current Specials

Free Home Electrical Inspection

With any paid electrical repair. A $100 value.
Must use coupon code JELFREEHOME.
Offer does not expire

$200 Off Electrical Panel Upgrade

On Any Electrical Panel Upgrade.
Taxes and dispatch fee additional. Please call for details. Must print this coupon and redeem at time of initial dispatch call.
Offer does not expire

$25 Off Any Electrical Repair

Must mention promo code: 25OFF
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Does not include dispatch fee.
Offer does not expire

Free Second Opinion

on service/breaker upgrades or fuse box repairs.
Must use coupon code JELFREESECONDOPINION.
Offer does not expire

Latest Tips

Hot Water Tank Not Cutting It Anymore?

Monday, June 3, 2019

There's nothing better than a nice, relaxing, hot shower.  But what happens when that hot water doesn't stay hot for very long anymore, and that relaxing shower is now an ice bath? It might be time to chuck your old hot water tank and invest in a new one!

Finish reading Hot Water Tank Not Cutting It Anymore?...

What is GFCI protection and how is it maintained?

Monday, May 6, 2019

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) devices are required in specific areas of our homes by law.  We must all have GFCI protection in certain parts of our house such as our kitchens, bathrooms, unfinished basements, outside our homes as well as our garages. GFCI devices monitor the electricity between the ungrounded (hot) and grounded (neutral) conductors. If there is an improper imbalance between the two conductors the GFCI will stop the power from exiting the receptacle, so no one gets an electrical shock.

Finish reading What is GFCI protection and how is it maintained?...

About John's Electric

Linn Park Fountain, Birmingham, AL

John's Electric Inc. is a family owned and operated electrical contractor business that proudly provides electrician services in Birmingham, AL and the surrounding areas such as Hoover, Homewood, Chelsea, Vestavia Hills, Pelham, Alabaster, Trussville, and Mountain Brook. John's Electric provides residential and commercial electrical solutions at competitive rates. We have been in this line of work for 30 years, giving us not only experience but expertise as well. You can depend on us. We are a state licensed electrician (#03875) for your protection.

  • Angie's List
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • HomeAdvisor
  • Instagram
  • Yellow Pages
  • Yelp

What others say about John's Electric Service

Aubrey did an excellent job with moving our electrical main service. He coordinated with Alabama Power and the Hoover inspectors and everyone was there when they should be. He knew that we needed a special disconnect and ordered the right one. We gave him a key and trusted him to be in and out of the house and yard when he needed to. He kept us informed, did a quality job and went over and above to come out to check on things for us after hours one evening and teach us a few things. Reasonable price as well. A true professional and I will recommend him again.

tiffdunlap
Yellow Pages

Aubrey and Jeremy were awesome! I have an old house with old wiring and needed to install a new Range and above Range Microwave. They worked very hard to run new wiring to the breaker box in the basement, installed new plugs, and installed the appliances with great care.

Steven T.
HomeAdvisor

Great company! He called and came out right away. They were on time, did a good job and gave me a good price! Very happy!

Deana C.
HomeAdvisor

I had a strange electrical issue in my home, and I was expecting it to be an expensive repair. Aubrey came out very quickly, ran some tests, and knew exactly what it was. He repaired it for a fraction of the cost of what I was expecting. I will absolutely call John's Electric any time I need a professional electrician. I highly recommend this company.

Peter Waldron
Google