Electrician & Plumber • Licensed & Insured • Residential & Commercial • Credit Cards Accepted • Serving the Birmingham, AL area • 24/7 Emergency Service Available

(205) 426-0583

5 Common Electrical Hazards

You have a lurking danger in your home, something you may not even think about. Almost everything in your home runs off of electricity, from your cell phone charger to your refrigerator. Without these items, how would you live your everyday life? Electricity is a blessing in the modern day home, however, it's also a large hazard if you're home isn't properly protected! Some of the most common hazards are also some of the most easily prevented!

  1. Water presence
    This is such a no brainier, but also very overlooked. Your bathroom most likely has a GFCI outlet, which is fantastic, but bathrooms are not the only place where water could possibly cause electrocution. In the kitchen, in the garage, and any outlet that could be close to a wet floor; all of these should be GFCI outlets as a precaution.
  2. Extension cords
    Extension cords are handy when you can't reach an outlet, however they should never be used as a permanent solution. In fact, when used improperly, extension cords can cause shock hazards. Cheaply made extension cords can cause fire hazards as well! The best thing to do is install another outlet.
  3. Exposed outlets
    Do you have children in your home? If so, investing a few dollars in outlet covers may be the best money you spend all month! Putting plug covers over unused outlets prevents small objects from being jammed into your outlets.
  4. Leaving appliances plugged in
    Sure, you use your toaster every day, or your microwave. But the majority of appliances need to be unplugged after every use. This includes hair dryers, and cell phone chargers. Though they may not use much electricity, they do have current flowing through them. These currents mean that electrical fires are possible.
  5. Using high wattage bulbs
    Using a 100-watt bulb in a lamp that calls for a 60-watt bulb may seem harmless, but in fact it can cause a large electrical hazard, by melting wires and possibly starting an electrical fire! Always be sure to use the correct wattage.

These are just a few of the most common electrical hazards that we hear of on a daily basis…but there are more. Is your home safe? Call John’s Electric today for a complete whole home electrical safety inspection.

Return to blog

Current Specials

Free Home Electrical Inspection

With any paid electrical repair. A $100 value.
Must use coupon code JELFREEHOME.
Offer does not expire

$200 Off Electrical Panel Upgrade

On Any Electrical Panel Upgrade.
Taxes and dispatch fee additional. Please call for details. Must print this coupon and redeem at time of initial dispatch call.
Offer does not expire

$25 Off Any Electrical Repair

Must mention promo code: 25OFF
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Does not include dispatch fee.
Offer does not expire

Free Second Opinion

on service/breaker upgrades or fuse box repairs.
Must use coupon code JELFREESECONDOPINION.
Offer does not expire

Latest Tips

Is aluminum wire a fire hazard and what should I do about it?

Monday, March 11, 2019

From the mid-'60s to the early '70s, electricians in many new or remodeled homes installed aluminum wiring to feed branch circuits from the main panel to outlets and lighting fixtures.  What was later discovered is that while continuous runs of aluminum wire didn't present problems, when those wires were connected to light switches, outlets and other wires in junction boxes, the connections deteriorated and became fire hazards.

Finish reading Is aluminum wire a fire hazard and what should I do about it?...

Electrical Spring cleaning the right way.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Spring cleaning time is just about here!  And while you're all set to clean the inside of your home to welcome in the new, warmer season, don’t forget to add “electrical safety” to your annual checklist.

Finish reading Electrical Spring cleaning the right way....

About John's Electric

Linn Park Fountain, Birmingham, AL

John's Electric Inc. is a family owned and operated electrical contractor business that proudly provides electrician services in Birmingham, AL and the surrounding areas such as Hoover, Homewood, Chelsea, Vestavia Hills, Pelham, Alabaster, Trussville, and Mountain Brook. John's Electric provides residential and commercial electrical solutions at competitive rates. We have been in this line of work for 30 years, giving us not only experience but expertise as well. You can depend on us. We are a state licensed electrician (#03875) for your protection.

  • Angie's List
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • HomeAdvisor
  • Yellow Pages
  • Yelp

What others say about John's Electric Service

Service was above and beyond excellent. Stuck with us and the power company until the true root of the problem was found. Worked around our schedule and budget restraints. Left things clean and was very respectful. Would definitely recommend him and use him again.

wayalockhart
Yellow Pages

Aubrey did an excellent job with moving our electrical main service. He coordinated with Alabama Power and the Hoover inspectors and everyone was there when they should be. He knew that we needed a special disconnect and ordered the right one. We gave him a key and trusted him to be in and out of the house and yard when he needed to. He kept us informed, did a quality job and went over and above to come out to check on things for us after hours one evening and teach us a few things. Reasonable price as well. A true professional and I will recommend him again.

tiffdunlap
Yellow Pages

Great company! He called and came out right away. They were on time, did a good job and gave me a good price! Very happy!

Deana C.
HomeAdvisor

Very dependable, professional, friendly and just good at what he does. John wired an addition for us and repaired my breaker box. He is friendly and trust worthy. I had no problem leaving full access to our home while we were away. I highly recommend him and his phone number will remain in my contacts. Job well done! Thanks again.

chrisandkisha.gruhn
Yellow Pages