Electrician & Plumber • Licensed & Insured • Residential & Commercial • Credit Cards Accepted • Serving the Birmingham, AL area • 24/7 Emergency Service Available

(205) 426-0583

Help! I’ve Got Aluminum Wiring in My House!

Common Question from a very concerned customer:

My home is 35 years old and was built in the 70's. Aluminum wire was used during that period because I think there was an issue with the copper wire during that period. I have experienced outlets becoming hot and I can feel this by touching the outlet. I can also smell the "bake light" burning smell. My remedy is to replace the bad outlet with the outlet designed for the aluminum wire. Years ago they also recommended to pigtail copper wire to the aluminum wire and then install the copper wire to the outlet. Can you provide suggestions? I am wondering if I should replace all my outlets with the outlets designed for aluminum wire or use the pigtail method?

My answer?

Yes, do something now!

Here’s where your trouble lies:

Hot electrical outlets and especially the bake-lite smell (a heat indicator) is the pre-fire warning from arcing aluminum wiring. The heat is the result of arcing from loose electrical connections.


In order to remove yourself and your home from immediate danger, you must immediately change to the approved aluminum devices or the approved pigtail method in this house and have this house checked by an experienced electrician right away!

The heat concerns me. A safety check from an electrician is warranted when you detect that bake-lite burning smell which is ozone like pungent odor.

You may also get some help from your Fire Department. Your Local Fire District is very knowledgeable and may have a thermal sensing heat detector “gun.” The firefighters use this tool to detect “hot spots” in enclosed walls at fire scenes to locate problems and identify where another hot smoldering area is so it doesn’t start later.

John's Electric also provides this service for safety and repair purposes. We use a thermal sensor or infra red thermal device to identify areas that need attention, find pipes and wires in walls and generally “see through things.” Just a thought.

If you are living with aluminum wiring in your home, you are putting yourself, your home and your family in danger. Aluminum wiring in residential homes carries an increased risk of starting a fire when compared with the much more common copper wiring.
Facts:

The US Consumer Products Safety Commission (US CPSC) investigated this threat in the 1970s and found that many home fires were caused by overheated connections involving aluminum wiring. The weakness is not with the wire itself, but rather in the wiring junctions and connections between the aluminum wire and things like light fixtures, switches and outlets. While aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity, it expands and contracts more than copper and is much more prone to corrosion at connection sites; this can cause increased resistance in connections, which, put simply, means more heat that can lead to fire.

Please do yourself a favor and give me a call to schedule a thorough wiring inspection of your home. Remember, it only takes a few seconds for one bad wiring incident to destroy your home and your possessions.

Return to blog

Current Specials

Free Home Electrical Inspection

With any paid electrical repair. A $100 value.
Must use coupon code JELFREEHOME.
Offer does not expire

$200 Off Electrical Panel Upgrade

On Any Electrical Panel Upgrade.
Taxes and dispatch fee additional. Please call for details. Must print this coupon and redeem at time of initial dispatch call.
Offer does not expire

$25 Off Any Electrical Repair

Must mention promo code: 25OFF
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Does not include dispatch fee.
Offer does not expire

Free Second Opinion

on service/breaker upgrades or fuse box repairs.
Must use coupon code JELFREESECONDOPINION.
Offer does not expire

Latest Tips

Have you scheduled electrical maintenance inspection for the new year?

Monday, January 14, 2019

The year old 2018 is over already, and as we move into the new year it is time to schedule appointments for many things such as a yearly physical, car tune-up, or a vet visit for your pet.  It is also a great time to book an electrical maintenance inspection for your home or business.

Finish reading Have you scheduled electrical maintenance inspection for the new year?...

Getting smart about Christmas lights in 2018.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Halloween came and went, and now, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Well, once the decorating is finished, that is. One of the most visually pleasing parts of the season is all the festive lights in creative places on neighboring houses. But that type of effect isn't limited to just outdoors; lighting plays a big part in Christmas inside as well. A tree with no lights looks dimly like a big plant in the center of the room. That's until the carefully strung lights shine throughout the magnificent green (and sometimes even white) tree and show off what's adorned on the branches. To make sure you get the most of your festive lighting, this year make a switch if you haven't already too smart lighting with LEDs.

Finish reading Getting smart about Christmas lights in 2018....

About John's Electric

Linn Park Fountain, Birmingham, AL

John's Electric Inc. is a family owned and operated electrical contractor business that proudly provides electrician services in Birmingham, AL and the surrounding areas such as Hoover, Homewood, Chelsea, Vestavia Hills, Pelham, Alabaster, Trussville, and Mountain Brook. John's Electric provides residential and commercial electrical solutions at competitive rates. We have been in this line of work for 30 years, giving us not only experience but expertise as well. You can depend on us. We are a state licensed electrician (#03875) for your protection.

  • Angie's List
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • HomeAdvisor
  • Yellow Pages
  • Yelp

What others say about John's Electric Service

When you need help from an electrician IMMEDDIATELY, this is the company to call. They came out right away, gave me several options for the repair, and the pricing was fair. I can tell you this, if I had another electrical problem this is the company that I would call.

John Mayti
Yellow Pages

Prompt, quick service, reasonable rates.

dnpmcr
Yellow Pages

They always are so polite and come whenever I need them to - working around my schedule. A family business that cares about the little man! Great prices and excellent service! Have used them several times and will continue too!

Barb Conner
Google

Aubrey was here less than half an hour after I called, had the problem identified within 5 minutes and had the problem solved within 15 minutes. He was friendly and professional.

Richard Walston
Google