Electrician & Plumber • Licensed & Insured • Residential & Commercial • Credit Cards Accepted • Serving the Birmingham, AL area • 24/7 Emergency Service Available

(205) 426-0583

Help! I’ve Got Aluminum Wiring in My House!

Common Question from a very concerned customer:

My home is 35 years old and was built in the 70's. Aluminum wire was used during that period because I think there was an issue with the copper wire during that period. I have experienced outlets becoming hot and I can feel this by touching the outlet. I can also smell the "bake light" burning smell. My remedy is to replace the bad outlet with the outlet designed for the aluminum wire. Years ago they also recommended to pigtail copper wire to the aluminum wire and then install the copper wire to the outlet. Can you provide suggestions? I am wondering if I should replace all my outlets with the outlets designed for aluminum wire or use the pigtail method?

My answer?

Yes, do something now!

Here’s where your trouble lies:

Hot electrical outlets and especially the bake-lite smell (a heat indicator) is the pre-fire warning from arcing aluminum wiring. The heat is the result of arcing from loose electrical connections.


In order to remove yourself and your home from immediate danger, you must immediately change to the approved aluminum devices or the approved pigtail method in this house and have this house checked by an experienced electrician right away!

The heat concerns me. A safety check from an electrician is warranted when you detect that bake-lite burning smell which is ozone like pungent odor.

You may also get some help from your Fire Department. Your Local Fire District is very knowledgeable and may have a thermal sensing heat detector “gun.” The firefighters use this tool to detect “hot spots” in enclosed walls at fire scenes to locate problems and identify where another hot smoldering area is so it doesn’t start later.

John's Electric also provides this service for safety and repair purposes. We use a thermal sensor or infra red thermal device to identify areas that need attention, find pipes and wires in walls and generally “see through things.” Just a thought.

If you are living with aluminum wiring in your home, you are putting yourself, your home and your family in danger. Aluminum wiring in residential homes carries an increased risk of starting a fire when compared with the much more common copper wiring.
Facts:

The US Consumer Products Safety Commission (US CPSC) investigated this threat in the 1970s and found that many home fires were caused by overheated connections involving aluminum wiring. The weakness is not with the wire itself, but rather in the wiring junctions and connections between the aluminum wire and things like light fixtures, switches and outlets. While aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity, it expands and contracts more than copper and is much more prone to corrosion at connection sites; this can cause increased resistance in connections, which, put simply, means more heat that can lead to fire.

Please do yourself a favor and give me a call to schedule a thorough wiring inspection of your home. Remember, it only takes a few seconds for one bad wiring incident to destroy your home and your possessions.

Return to blog

Current Specials

Free Home Electrical Inspection

With any paid electrical repair. A $100 value.
Must use coupon code JELFREEHOME.
Offer does not expire

$200 Off Electrical Panel Upgrade

On Any Electrical Panel Upgrade.
Taxes and dispatch fee additional. Please call for details. Must print this coupon and redeem at time of initial dispatch call.
Offer does not expire

$25 Off Any Electrical Repair

Must mention promo code: 25OFF
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Does not include dispatch fee.
Offer does not expire

Free Second Opinion

on service/breaker upgrades or fuse box repairs.
Must use coupon code JELFREESECONDOPINION.
Offer does not expire

Latest Tips

What is the future of solar power in Alabama?

Monday, January 6, 2020

The sun is the natural source of the most abundant, reliable, and pollution-free power in the world. However, problems with solar power, namely the expensive cost and inconsistent availability, have prevented it from becoming a more utilized energy source. Just like everything, eventually, it will be more affordable for the average homeowner. Could it be the new way people light up their homes in Alabama?

Finish reading What is the future of solar power in Alabama?...

Christmas Safety Tips from an Electrician.

Monday, December 2, 2019

With all of the hustle and bustle activity surrounding the holidays, too often, safety gets ignored as a priority, leaving opportunity for accidents or injuries (including burns) to occur. At John's Electric, we want you to get the most out of your holiday season, and we want your family to feel safe and secure. 

Finish reading Christmas Safety Tips from an Electrician....

About John's Electric

Linn Park Fountain, Birmingham, AL

John's Electric Inc. is a family owned and operated electrical contractor business that proudly provides electrician services in Birmingham, AL and the surrounding areas such as Hoover, Homewood, Chelsea, Vestavia Hills, Pelham, Alabaster, Trussville, and Mountain Brook. John's Electric provides residential and commercial electrical solutions at competitive rates. We have been in this line of work for 30 years, giving us not only experience but expertise as well. You can depend on us. We are a state licensed electrician (#03875) for your protection.

  • Angie's List
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • HomeAdvisor
  • Instagram
  • Yellow Pages
  • Yelp

What others say about John's Electric Service

Aubrey was courteous, prompt and helpful. He knew what I needed quickly. I will be calling him the next time I need electrical service. Gave me a great price.

Diane Lockhart

Google

Quick, friendly, excellent work.

Tom W.

HomeAdvisor

Had part of a circuit series of outlets/lights stop working while running vacuum. Was very pleased with service.... courteous....professional....good blend of knowledge and interaction.

Jim M.

Yellow Pages

First, they were there within the hour of calling them. Secondly, I thought I had 2 bad florescent lights, but it turned out to be tripped GFI outlets. Instead of just going ahead and replacing the lights, the electrician found the tripped outlets and let me know that was all the problem was. He showed me where they were so, if I had a problem in the future I could look there first. I appreciate his honesty. It saved me a lot of money.

Jo A.

HomeAdvisor